Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Problems with URL to page/external address property and Linkcollection property

Vote:

I'm having trouble with both LinkCollection list and URL to Page/external address.

Were using the property to link to files.  On some files the url rewriting stops to work after some time.

The link renders out like  "~/link/c7a71144221b47008a46e8dd2e7e329d.aspx" or "~/link/68b0bcb8cef34d55a6be82cd46134aaf.pdf"

Even inside EPiServer edit if I look at the link it doesn't convert and shows the real file url.

There is a rely strange fix to make the link work again. 

If I add the file again in the same property and page. Press ok to save it in to the list. After I added the link i don´t save the page. Instead I press view. Then the link has now started to work, both in edit mode and in view mode. 

Any ideas how to solve it?

Oct 12, 2009 11:38
Vote:

This could be the bug with LinkCollection property in earlier EPiServer versions, upgrade to the latest release.

I had the similar situation where I wanted to link the documents (mostly PDF) using LinkCollection and display them as 'Related documents'. Content editor can manually add/remove them from the list and so on.

I found it easy to create a 'Document.aspx' template type, attach the document to this page type and then use this page in LinkCollection.

That gave me full control over using the link collection property, as I was linking to a PageType in EPiServer and not to PDF.

Its a bit lengthy process of attaching doucment to a Page Type, but in long run it has many benefits like displaying them as lists, tracking them, adding security to them etc.

There may be other ways, and you are welcome to follow any.

If you need the code, let me know

Oct 12, 2009 13:12
Vote:

Naveed, thank you for your tip.

Your approach is good. Creating a page for every file gives you a lot of possibles but efforts more work for the editors.  Therefore is that an approach we left for this project to minimize the amount of editorial tasks.

Were using the latest EPiServer 5.2.375.236.

Oct 12, 2009 13:59
Vote:

This version should have any issues with LinkCollection property.

Its upto your project /client's expectations how you would like to do it. It may look like extra effort, but it helped us in maintiaing large document library at one place and then just linking them anywhere we liked.

Oct 12, 2009 15:27
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.