Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

News stories going in but nothing coming out

Vote:

Hi,

I have followed the community documentation regarding news feeds.

I have set up the actions on application initialisation using the following code.

NewsFeedAction publishAction = NewsFeedHandler.Instance.GetAction(NewsFeedActions.PublishAction);
if (publishAction == null)
{
   publishAction = new NewsFeedAction(NewsFeedActions.PublishAction, NewsFeedActionCapability.None);
   NewsFeedHandler.Instance.AddAction(publishAction);
}

To insert a news story the code used is...

Look look = e.Object as Look;
if(look != null)
{
    IAuthor author = look.Author;
    NewsFeedAction publishedALook = NewsFeedHandler.Instance.GetAction(NewsFeedActions.PublishAction);
    NewsFeedStory story = new NewsFeedStory(publishedALook, author, null, look);
    story.Status = EntityStatus.Approved;
    story.ActionDate = DateTime.Now;
    NewsFeedHandler.Instance.AddStory(story);

}

The story goes into the database and I try to retrieve the stories for users as follows

NewsFeedStoryCollection newsFeedStoryCollection = NewsFeedHandler.Instance.GetNewsFeedStories(type, EntityStatus.Approved, user, null, fromDate, toDate, pageNumber, pageSize, out totalItems);

The user is an IUser, the from date is now - 5 years and the the toDate is not + 5 years.

I noticed in the relate plus templates that news feeds and mini feeds are setup for each user on registration, although this is not specified as a requirement in the comminity documentation for newsfeeds.

So I retrospectively set up news feeds and mini feeds for each of our users using the following code...

foreach (int id in ids)
            {
                IUser user = SecurityHandler.Instance.GetUser(id);

// create the user's newsfeed and minifeed and set its access rights.
                NewsFeed newsFeed = new NewsFeed(NewsFeedType.NewsFeed, user);
                newsFeed = NewsFeedHandler.Instance.AddNewsFeed(newsFeed);

NewsFeedAccessRights nfAccessRights = new NewsFeedAccessRights()
                {
                    Read = true,
                    Modify = true,
                    Remove = true,
                    Categorize = true,
                    Comment = true,
                    Rate = true,
                    Tag = true
                };

EntitySecurityHandler.Instance.SetAccessRights(newsFeed, user, nfAccessRights);

NewsFeed miniFeed = new NewsFeed(NewsFeedType.MiniFeed, user);
                miniFeed = NewsFeedHandler.Instance.AddNewsFeed(miniFeed);

NewsFeedAccessRights miniFeedAccessRights = new NewsFeedAccessRights()
                {
                    Read = true,
                    Modify = true,
                    Remove = true,
                    Categorize = true,
                    Comment = true,
                    Rate = true,
                    Tag = true
                };

EntitySecurityHandler.Instance.SetAccessRights(miniFeed, user, miniFeedAccessRights);
            }

I then cleared all stories from the db and performed some actions that trigger news stories being insterted into the system.

I still get nothing coming out.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Oct 06, 2011 10:59
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.