Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Getting synchronized user into admin mode

Vote:

We are using a custom membership provider based on a SSO procedure and WIF. I am now trying to pair this with EPiServer community using the CommonIntegrationMembershipProvider. I can log in and i can also check using a breakpoint etc that the user does indeed get copied to the common database, at least the EPiServer.Community.CommunitySystem.CurrentContext.DefaultSecurity.CurrentUser is a valid IUser object with the correct name and groups. One of the groups is "Administrators".

Is that not enough to have access to the administration mode? If not, can I somehow make it from code? The problem is that I can't log in using an account that is only in the common database and not in our custom provider, e.g. the admin account created in the installation, this is because our whole project depends heavily on that provider and it's specialized principal. We don't even have a login form on the site.

Sep 15, 2010 15:57
Vote:

I noticed another thing. I don't get the Community menu alternative in OnlineCenter. We removed the top part of the menu as one of our many customisations, so I was trying to reach the Community Admin by manually entering the URL to ~/EPiServerCommunity/Admin.aspx, Default.aspx etc. It seems to pick up correctly but I'm redirected to AccessDenied.aspx as if I lack access rights.

When restoring the menu I notice that I only see Start and CMS. I suppose this can be because I lack the access rights, but again, I am identified as an IUser with membership in the Administrators group. Shouldn't that be enough?

Sep 16, 2010 9:46
Vote:

I had a similar issue not too long ago. Make sure that you have these included in your web.config:

<episerver.shell>
	<protectedModules rootPath="~/epiUI/">
		<add name="Shell"/>
		<add name="CMS"/>
		<add name="Community" resourcePath="~/EPiServerCommunity">
			<assemblies>
			  <add assembly="EPiServer.Community.Web.Administration" />
			  <add assembly="EPiServer.Community.Gadgets" />
			</assemblies>
		</add>
	</protectedModules>

And this module:

<add name="EPiServerCommonUserIntegration" type="EPiServer.Common.Web.Authorization.IntegrationHttpModule, EPiServer.Common.Web.Authorization" preCondition="managedHandler" />

Sep 16, 2010 14:35
Vote:

Thanks for the suggestion! But it was already all in there with correct paths etc, so I'm still stuck in the same situation.

Sep 17, 2010 8:21
Vote:

I don't know why, but suddenly it works. I didn't back up the config file before I tried your suggestions, but the only thing I did was add the handler, start the site only to get an error that it was a duplicate, and then remove the added line again. I ctrl-z:ed back through the changes and as far as I can tell this is the only thing I did.

I hate when things just solve themselves, because it means I'll be as clueless the next time they appear! :)

Sep 17, 2010 8:52
Vote:

Umm congratulations? Well, it's always good when things are working but I know what you mean. If it "magically" starts to work, you know that it can "magically" stop to work and then you're back at square one. 

Unfortunately I don't have any more insight to share in this so let's hope it keeps working.

Sep 17, 2010 8:59
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.