Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Running EPiServer on one machine, develop in VS 2008 on another?

Vote:

I have installed EPiServer CMS 5 on a Windows 2003 server that we have in our server room. Now I want to develop on this server using Visual Studio 2008 on my desktop computer. When I try to install EPiServerVsIntegration on my desktop computer it says: "EPiServer CMS and Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Web Developer Express 2008 must be installed".

Is it not possible to develop on an external server when using EPiServer? I'm used to creating a network drive that points to the directory on the remote server where I have my web application. Then I just open up my network drive in Visual Studio and work with the files.

If not, what are my options? I was hoping I wouldn't have to install EPiServer CMS 5 on my local desktop computer. It will also be complicated to work like that since I have a colleague and sometimes we work on the same project. Having the project on an separate web server is very convenient.

Thanks in advance!

/Thomas Kahn

Feb 13, 2009 14:17
Vote:

Install CMS 5 locally using the setup file, you don't have to install a site. Then run the VSIntegration setup.

As a side note,most people I know develop locally, even if they work in teams. A source control system (anything but Source Safe please) will help you work on the same files. Developing without a source control system is like driving your car without using the seat belt - it is not wise! :-)

/Steve

Feb 13, 2009 14:37
Vote:

Hi Steve, and thanks for the swift reply!

There is a lot of documentation on the EPiServer web pages, but when it comes to best practice for installation, setup and good tips'n'tricks for getting the optimal development environment, I think the documentation is poor. Or perhaps I haven't found the right docs?

As I mentioned, I'm used to working on a developer server (a real web server, not a desktop computer) but when it comes to EPiServer it seems that this is not the best solution. I know that working against a network share can cause problems since you don't get full trust. I remember when I took the developer course - we all worked on the local desktop computer.

If I choose to develop on my local desktop, it's difficult to let colleagues and clients access the site to get sneak previews of work in progress. My desktop computer is not configured to be a real web server. Working on a real server solves this problem. Are there any good workarounds for this? This would also mean I'd have to get two developer licenses for the same project - one for my desktop computer and one for the server(?)

I realise that this post is unstructured, but I'm just not sure how I get the optimal solution for my first real EPiServer project.

/Thomas Kahn

Feb 14, 2009 14:34
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.