Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Licensing site with subdomains

Vote:

Hi all,

I didnt work with licenses before, and i couldnt find straight answer on forums so i would like to ask you guys:

I have one site which is accessible trough different subdomains, for example www.site.com, sub1.site.com, sub2.site.com.

Please tell me, do i need a license for every subdomain or one license is enough.

Thank you.

Jan 27, 2012 15:41
Vote:

Jan 27, 2012 17:42
Vote:

Hello Zarko, you say that you have "one site" what is the definition of your site here? If your site always has the same start (home) page then different sub domains are not a problem. However if the sub domains point to new start pages in the site tree then you would need a new licence for each.

David

Jan 27, 2012 17:44
Vote:

Hi David,

Thx for your answer,

Currently i have this structure:

Home(pageStartId is set to this)

| - Sub1

| - Sub2

There is a Url rewriter which "decides"  which subnode will be used based on subdomain.

I have only one <siteSettings> node in <sites>. Does this scenario require new licence for every subnode?

Site will probably be restructured to minimize current mainteinance, but we want to keep subdomains if possible.
New structire will probably be like:

|

| -Home(pageStartId is set to this)

|      | - Rest of the pages ..

| -Resources

| - subdomain different nodes ...

Edited, Jan 30, 2012 9:32
Vote:

Hi Zarko

There is nothing in the licensing terms and conditions that says you cannot serve your site off more than one (sub)domain. Also there is nothing that says you cannot write custom code that redirects people based on certain requested paths. However your solution sounds like you are sending people to different start pages depending on different sub-domains.

The needs vs doesn't need licenses could be argued either way so this is a really grey area. My honest advice would be to talk to your EPiServer partner manager.

David

Jan 30, 2012 17:56
Vote:

The EULA state:

3.3 Redirect. The Products shall not be used in solutions that use an internal redirect (automatic server side or client side re-routing of traffic) on the start page.

If the Url Rewriter is redirecting the start page, I'd say it is covered under that restriction. However, there might be good reasons for your choice, and I recommend you to do as David says, contact your partner manager.

Jan 30, 2012 22:40
Vote:

Thank you both for your help.

Anyway, site will be restructured and should have only one start page. Sub domain different data (news, etc) will be held in resource node and loaded to main pages if necessary. This should solve any license doubts if im not wrong.

And well probably check this with our partner manager.

Jan 31, 2012 9:36
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.