pappabj0rn
Nov 10, 2009
  8383
(6 votes)

Pixlr Image Editor Gadget

If you haven’t seen it already, there’s a great image editor over at www.pixlr.com, that features a bunch of different tools, layers, filers and much more. Now, wouldn’t it be great to have that inside of EPiServer? Why yes, yes it would! And now you can.

The Basics

The Pixlr Image Editor Gadget lets you select an image in your site’s VPPs, sent it to the editor and save it back to the VPP. You may even skip the file selection and just open the editor. You can then either create a new image, or load one from you computer.

select image

Advanced

The advanced options allows you to Create new file. Select this option to save your file as a new file instead of a new version. This option will only affect files stored in the versioning path provider of course.

Save to folder lets you specify a target folder where the image should be saved. You could for example open an image in /foo/ and have it saved to /bar/.

editor

Settings

If you edit the gadget you’ll find two properties. First one is the editor height (min 600px) and the other one controls the size of the preview box in the index view (min 150px).

Source and Installation

Those of you who feel, “Hey, this is awesome, but I just have to change this detail” might want to download the source code. Others might think, “Awesome! Give me 1.0!” – grab it here: PixlrGadget.

Installation is as simple as copying the folders, bin, content etc. to your site root and add one tiny line to your web.config to register the assembly:

<episerver.shell>
    <frameworkModules>
      <add name="Shell">
        <assemblies>
          <add assembly="BearWare.PixlrGadget" />

Please give it a spin and tell me what’s needed for the next release. And by the way, I’ve got a module cooking for CMS 5, so that those editors not fortunate enough to be kicking it in CMS 6 still get some.

And wouldn’t it be super to build a new image property based on Pixlr? I’ll get to that in a while.

Update
I’ve created an epimodule for the gadget so you can install it more easily.

Nov 10, 2009

Comments

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

You're the man Greger!

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Good stuff :)
/ Frederik Vig

Eric
Eric Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Nice work... Could we please have it on episerver.com after new year ;)

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

nice gadget!!!

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Certainly something I would use! Now we are talking really useful widget for Editors.... I like.
/ Lena Spegel

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

One of the coolest gadgets so far!
/ Tom Stenius

Petter Klang
Petter Klang Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Love it Greger, but you should really go and get that hair cut.

Fredrik Josefsson
Fredrik Josefsson Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Looks really good Greger, nice work!

Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone. I've added a zip module to ease installation (see end of blog entry).

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
How to use CacheTagHelper with content areas in Optimizely CMS 12

I might be going out on a limb here - if you have a better solution, feel very free to share it!  Upgrading your Optimizely web application from .N...

Andreas J | Dec 2, 2022

The 1001st Piece in your 1000 Piece Puzzle: .NET Default Interface Functions

I was recently working with a client who wanted a reasonably large subsystem added to Optimizely that would add automated management to their...

Greg J | Nov 28, 2022 | Syndicated blog

Video Demonstration, creating a CMS12 Alloy Sample Site

Hey All Below you will find a quick video demonstration on how to install a local version of Alloy Sample based on CMS12 / .Net 6. As you will see ...

Minesh Shah (Netcel) | Nov 28, 2022

How to create an admin user I Optimizely CMS – with Episerver CLI

In this blog post I’ll show how to create an admin user for Optimizely CMS in a new environment where you don’t have access to the admin interface.

Ove Lartelius | Nov 28, 2022 | Syndicated blog