Vulnerability in EPiServer.Forms

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Jonas Lindau
Apr 1, 2011
(0 votes)

MIME-types and VPP

Yesterday i ran into a problem when i was moving an old JAVA-application from an Apache-server into i VPP-folder on our EPiServer site.

What i wanted to do was to host the JNLP-file and the JAR-files in a VPP-folder, and simple create a hyperlink to the JNLP-file from a web page, rather then have a separate Apache that only serves JNLP-files.

I knew it would be a bit of an issue to set the correct MIME-types for my JNLP-file when stored on a VPP-folder, so what i wanted was a flexible solution that would allow me to add other MIME-types if needed. Here is what i came up with:


First of all i added a handler in global.asax that is triggered when i file transmission starts.

   1:  void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
   2:  {
   3:      UnifiedFile.UnifiedFileTransmitting += 
               new UnifiedFileEventHandler(UnifiedFile_UnifiedFileTransmitting);
   4:  }


Also in global.asax:

   1:  void UnifiedFile_UnifiedFileTransmitting(UnifiedFile sender, 
           UnifiedVirtualPathEventArgs e)
   2:  {
   3:      if (sender == null || sender.Name == null || sender.Extension == null)
   4:          return;
   6:      UnifiedFileManager.HandleMimeType(sender.Extension);
   7:  }


As you can see i don’t add a lot of code in global.asax, i prefer to create manager-classes. The UnifiedFileManager-class looks like this:

   1:  public static class UnifiedFileManager
   2:  {
   3:      public static void HandleMimeType(string Extension)
   4:      {
   5:          string HandledMimeTypes = 
   7:          foreach (string HandledMimeType in HandledMimeTypes.Split("|".ToCharArray()))
   8:          {
   9:              string[] ThisMimeType = HandledMimeType.Split(";".ToCharArray());
  10:              if (ThisMimeType[0].Equals(Extension))
  11:                  HttpContext.Current.Response.ContentType = ThisMimeType[1];
  12:          }
  13:      }
  14:  }


And the final step is to add a line in appSettings. This is where you store the MIME-types and their extensions:

<add key="HandledMimeTypes" value=".jnlp;application/x-java-jnlp-file" />

To add more MIME-types, simple separate them with a |-character, like this:

<add key="HandledMimeTypes" 
value=".jnlp;application/x-java-jnlp-file|.pdf|application/octet-stream" />

Now, i was able to launch my JNLP-file without any problems.

Apr 01, 2011


Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Update related content

In this article, I will show simple code that allow to replace linked content with other content selected by the Editor. When deleting content whos...

Grzegorz Wiecheć | Dec 8, 2023 | Syndicated blog

Getting Started with Optimizely SaaS Core and Next.js Integration: Content Areas and Blocks

The blog guide elaborates on improving content rendering by exploring content areas and blocks within the Optimizely CMS. It walks through setting ...

Francisco Quintanilla | Dec 8, 2023 | Syndicated blog

Maximize performance by uploading your external data to Optimizely Graph

Learn to integrate external data into Optimizely Graph for improved performance, covering data preparation, synchronization, and effective querying.

Surjit Bharath | Dec 6, 2023 | Syndicated blog

Google Read Aloud Reload Problems

Inclusive web experiences greatly benefit from accessibility features such as Google Read Aloud. This tool, which converts text into speech, enable...

Luc Gosso (MVP) | Dec 4, 2023 | Syndicated blog