Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Mari Jørgensen
Jun 15, 2010
(1 votes)

Changes to the Advanced Language Manipulation Tool

Ever had trouble with SearchDataSource on a migrated site where you have changed the master language? Well, you're not the only one.

Changing master language using a tool like Advanced Language Manipulation Tool will not affect the fkLanguangeBranchID in the tblKeyword table. That is why you might get "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to search using the SearchDataSource control (due to the page security check in the public TextSearchResults SearchPages(), the page will be null and an unhandled exception is thrown). 

A colleague of mine, Øyvind, found a tool for rebuilding the keyword index ("hidden" as an FAQ).

To save all of you some trouble, I've extended the Advanced Language Tool to include rebuild index support.

The tool is easy to install, just download the .epimodule file and install it using EPiServer Deployment Center.

For source code, module download and more please visit

The language manipulation tool was originally created by Adam Najmanowicz.

Jun 15, 2010


Sep 21, 2010 10:33 AM

Hi Mari,

We have used this tool in some projects. One funny thing about it is that it will change language correctly but all dynamic properties will be cleared from the websites. The editor cannot see that any dynamic property is set. This has happened twice. Do you have any clues what?

Best Regards

/ Anders Brangefält

Frederik Vig
Frederik Vig Sep 21, 2010 10:33 AM

I believe this is a bug with EPiServer CMS.. Have you checked the bug list?

Sep 21, 2010 10:33 AM

@Anders: I've heard about this issue, but I thought it was related to migration and not the language tool? Anyway, you should check the bug list, and report the issue if it's not in the list.
/ Mari Jørgensen

Oct 26, 2010 05:39 PM

I encountered the same issue whilst using this tool, essentially 'en-GB' was the original master language - languageID = 1

The problem occurs when changing a dymanic property that was not language specific, it updates the [fkLanguageBranchID] value for the dynamic property on table [tblProperty] from 1 to the new master language id ( in my case this was 18 ' )

What i did notice however, was when after changing a branches master language to another language, when saving a non-language specific dynamic property, the value in [fkLanguageBranchID] field was always 1 ( the original master language branch ).

Running the following script essentially set back all the non-language-specific dynamic property values to their original master language branch, which in the editor makes their values populated again:

*** NB please use at own risk, this worked for me, but make sure YOU understand the consequences of running this script **

UPDATE [tblProperty]
SET [fkLanguageBranchID] = 1 -- ** NB this value must be your original language branch
WHERE fkPageDefinitionID IN
FROM tblPageDefinition
WHERE (fkPageTypeID IS NULL) AND (LanguageSpecific = 0)

Hope it helps someone out there.

Andrey Kozhyn
Andrey Kozhyn Mar 31, 2011 02:00 PM

Does this tool allows to copy content, not switch languages?

Dec 6, 2011 05:27 PM

I've used the tool on EPiServer 6 R2 with partial success, after converting one page from the root node, and re-indexing, I got the result when search through the Online Center Search Page Object reference not set to an instance of an object, and this error in the error logs:

2011-12-06 16:21:32,589 ERROR [29] EPiServer.Shell.UI.Controllers.SearchController.Search - Search provider EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Search.PageSearchProviderthrew an exception when searching for "test"
2011-12-06 16:21:32,591 ERROR [29] EPiServer.Shell.UI.Controllers.SearchController.Search - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EPiServer.DataAccess.PageTextIndexDB.<>c__DisplayClass8.b__7()
at EPiServer.DataAccess.DataAccessBase.<>c__DisplayClass1`1.b__0()
at EPiServer.DataAccess.DatabaseFactory.Execute[TResult](Action`1 method)
at EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Search.PageSearchProvider.Search(Query query)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Controllers.SearchController.Search(String id, String epiSearchQuery)
2011-12-06 16:21:37,273 DEBUG [34] EPiServer.Events.Remote.RemoteEventsManager.EventSequenceCheckTimer_Elasped - Event Sequence Check Timer Elapsed

Can you give any further assistance on resolving?


Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Introducing Image Transformer - AI Assistant for Optimizely

We've got something super cool to share with you, and it's all about giving your images a fresh spin. Image Transformer, the latest feature from ou...

Luc Gosso (MVP) | Feb 26, 2024 | Syndicated blog

Welcome 2024 Winter OMVPs

Hello, Optimizely community! We are thrilled to announce and welcome the newest members to the Optimizely Most Valuable Professionals (OMVP) progra...

Patrick Lam | Feb 26, 2024

Optimizely Opal... what it does actually do?

At Opticon 2023, Optimizely announced its first AI product Opal. AI is definitely the new tech buzzword in 2024 and with promises that AI will be...

Jon Jones | Feb 25, 2024 | Syndicated blog

How to add more Content Area Context Menu Item in Optimizely CMS 12

Hey folks, today I will share something related to Context Menu customization in the Content Area of Optimizely CMS. As you know, the content area ...

Binh Nguyen | Feb 25, 2024

Developer meetups in Stockholm & Helsinki

It's time for developer meetups! Next month we will be in Stockholm and Helsinki. Join us for getting the latest updates from Optimizely, be inspir...

Magnus Kjellander | Feb 23, 2024

Roll Your Own Security Headers

Proper security headers are a must for your Optimizely driven website. There are a variety of tools out there that will help with this, but when...

Ethan Schofer | Feb 21, 2024