Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Multiple languages for files

Vote:

I recently upgraded to 7.5 and the new media system looks very promising. Now I'm rewriting old code (VPP-based) to use the new media system. It is indeed good news to be able to have strongly-typed access to custom properties, access rights etc.

My question is if the new system can handle multiple language versions of a media file? The "Tools -> Language Settings" is greyed out when editing a media file. 

(Previously I handled localization of files by uploading several files following a given naming convention (xxxx-en.pdf, xxxx-se.pdf etc) and applied logic in code to list/group the resources accordingly upon output. Works, but kind of messy...)

Jan 28, 2014 14:53
Vote:

Unfortunately, the current implementation of media does not implement language versions of the same item at the moment so you will have to make a solution similar to the VPP one. There has been, and still is a debate ongoing about the pros and cons of having media language neutral so there might be changes upcoming in this area in the future. But as said above, for now media files are language agnostic and not localizable.

Jan 28, 2014 15:38
Vote:

Ah, good to know, then I can at least stop searching for ways to activate it :)

Jan 28, 2014 17:26
Vote:

In theory it might be possible to implement ILocalizable on your media types. What you would need to do then is replace the registered media routes so they include a language segment. 

However I have not verified that everything works as expected (e.g. each part of the UI) but in theory it should work....

Jan 29, 2014 10:06
Vote:

Hi Johan and Linus, do you have any update on this? Or will it stay in it's current shape forever?

Sep 10, 2014 14:53
Vote:

I have not heard anything from PM direction about changing current behaviour.

Sep 10, 2014 14:57
Vote:

Ok, I'll have a look at your local media provider and see if that could point me in the right direction.

Sep 10, 2014 15:08
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.