Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Can't get CMO to work after upgrade, driving me crazy!


I have just upgraded one of our customers sites to latest version of EPiServer.

The problem I have is that I can not get CMO to work after upgrading the site. I could not run the upgrade tool directly since the other code has updated so it would not work. Therefore I had a site where I first upgraded to 7.5 and then directly run the CMO upgrade tool and changed my files the same way as the tool did. I also run the sql-upgrade script on the database.

The problem I have is that after removing this from web.config


I can not see the link to CMO and when I enter the path anyway (/Episerver/CMO/Default.aspx) I get this error

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Ett undantagsfel av typen System.Web.HttpUnhandledException inträffade. ---> System.ArgumentException: Unable to find a module by assembly 'EPiServer.Cmo.UI, Version=7.5.446.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7'
Parameternamn: moduleAssembly
   vid EPiServer.Shell.Paths.ToResource(Assembly moduleAssembly, String moduleRelativeResourcePath)
   vid EPiServer.Cmo.UI.Pages.CmoPageBase.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   vid System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   vid ASP.episerver_cmo_default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) i c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\ec233a85\653f0012\App_Web_452aa2l2.11.cs:rad 0
   vid System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   vid System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

This dll-files are in the bin-folder (using the nuget package) and there are the right folders in Modules below AppData. I have created a site from deployment center, upgraded it to the latest version, added the cmo nuget and in that all is working.
I have tried to compare this to my site and can not find any differens so this is driving me Crazy!!!
Propably there are some very very easy thing that are missing. Please help!

Sep 30, 2014 8:57

Another thing I noticed
When inspecting the meny I noticed that the link is there, but not the text...

  • #91225
    Sep 30, 2014 9:06

    The CMO tab is missing after upgrade? Could you try this: Copy CMO folder from appdata/modules to wwwroot/modules/_protected. 

    Sep 30, 2014 17:52

    It did not help, sorry to say

    Oct 01, 2014 7:45

    Wow, I solved it!
    I had removed the files from webroot/modulesbin and all the other site works great with that.
    Creating a new site from the Visual Studio Plugin does not put any files in modulesbin so I thought it was save to remove them.

    For CMO it is not save! So after copy them back it all started to work!

    Hopefully you will be able to make an update to CMO to support using it without these files

    Oct 01, 2014 8:24

    Another better solution that I found was to add these nuget packages Add-on store plattform and Add-on store UI.

    After doing that I could remove those files from modulesbin again!

    Oct 03, 2014 10:39
    This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
    * You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.