Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Episerver Event API - Raised event not triggered when passing object as parameter

Vote:

I'm working on a project using Episerver CMS 7.9. The Staging setup uses 2 servers into the load balancer for the public website and a separate server for the CMS website.

I am trying to use the Episerver Event API to trigger an update on all web servers when a CMS job is executed in Staging. I used the following documentation as a reference: http://world.episerver.com/documentation/Items/Developers-Guide/Episerver-CMS/75/Event-management/Event-Management-API/

If I pass an empty string as the parameter to the custom event, the event is successfully triggered on all 3 servers. However, if I pass a custom object or even a non-empty string, the event is only raised on the CMS server (I ran the CMS job manually), but not on the other servers.

Note: I would need to pass a custom object as a parameter when the event is raised.

Did anyone face this issue before? I didn't found other developers mentioning similar issues in my searching. 

Should I adjust the configuration in any way?

Thank you,

Roxana

Edited, Aug 25, 2016 11:43
Vote:

Hi,

Ihad similar problem a few weeks ago. Try serializing object to json and pass it as a string.

Thanks,
Maciej

Aug 25, 2016 12:05
Vote:

Hi Maciej, 

Thank you for the quick response.

It's still not working by serializing the parameter to JSON. I tried again with a random string and the result is the same.

It works with empty string, though.

Roxana

Aug 25, 2016 13:42
Vote:

Look at a later version of the docs, for example http://world.episerver.com/documentation/Items/Developers-Guide/Episerver-CMS/9/Event-management/Event-Management-API/ under "Using custom event arguments".

Basically adding [DataContract, EventsServiceKnownType] to your class should do the trick, WCF will now allow to serialize unknown types.

Aug 25, 2016 14:04
Vote:

Hi Per,

I tried decorating the class and properties with the attributes mentioned into the Episerver doc, though the first test wasn't very successfull. I will do more tests tomorrow and will keep you updated. 

Thank you for the help!

Roxana

Aug 25, 2016 16:09
Vote:

It works now, though not all the times. I was looking into the size of the object, but it's much smaller (~50kB) than the limit mentioned into the Episerver doc. I will look more into this.

The issue I initially reported is now fixed. Thank you for the help, Per!

Aug 26, 2016 12:29
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.