Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

File distribution

Vote:

Hi, We have 2 websites on different servers that share the same database (load balancing). If a file is uploaded on server 1, the same file must be distributed to server 2's upload directory (keeping both upload directories in sync) and vice versa. Can anyone please recommend a tool for this? I've looked in the Whitepapers and the technical notes, but can't find the document that deals with this issue. A possible option might be Windows 2003's DFS (Distributed File System). Have anyone perhaps used this option? Thanks, Danie
Feb 06, 2007 8:33
Vote:

One option would be to move the upload folder to a shared location on a file server (could be your database server). You can use the Unified File System to map the upload and page folders to a network location on another server. This way both servers will be pointing at the same set of files, removing the need to sync the files. Take a look at the Technical note on the Unified File System, it has all the information you should need. Cheers, Jeremy.
Feb 06, 2007 20:39
Vote:

Hi Jeremy, Wish I could use the db server as a file server, but it is an Unix server (Oracle db). Hopefully Window's File Distrubution File System can replicate the files. Thanks! Danie
Feb 12, 2007 10:00
Vote:

We used DFS to do the exact same thing and it worked just fine. If I recall correctly we had some issues with replication to some of the servers, as they were part of a different domain (the DFS couldn't replicate across domains or something like that?). For those special cases we had a RoboCopy (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en) job set up as a scheduled task which replicated the files across the domain/firewall boundary every minute. Not pretty, but it worked =P /Niklas
Feb 15, 2007 9:32
Vote:

Thanks Niklas! Glad to hear that someone else used DFS as well.
Feb 15, 2007 9:42
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.