Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Need help with file download solution

Vote:

I am trying to build a download page for a customer - the visitor will see a list of files that are documents listed from the filearea in EPi (VPP).

In the filearea there are some subdirectorys, one for each document type.
In each of the document type directory there are some subdirectorys, one for each category (category of the content in the document text).
In each catecory directory there are some subdirectorys, in for each language. Document of different language version are saved in each language direcotry with the same filename.
The visitior will have a dropdown where he/she can select from the langugage versions of each document(file) - the dropdown will only contain the possible languages for each document.

I need help with this because I can't find out how to solve this mostly because I have no experiens with the filesystem in EPiServer at this level.
Could you please help me with this and give me some advice how to solve this - if you could send me code examples it would be really nice.

Directory structur:

/Global Files
--DocumentType1
----Category1
------Lang1
--------Document (file)
------Lang2
--------Document (file)
----Category2
------Lang1
------Lang2
------Lang3
--DocumentType2
----Category1
----Category2
----Catecory3
... and so on

File list page:

[DropDown to select DocumentType] - (Select on or all, if all - list all Doc.Typ)
[DropDown to select Category] - (Select on or all, if all - list all Cat.)

List heading - (list filtered according to DropDowns abow)
Filename [Dropdown to select languageversion of file to download]

... and so on

Regards,
Stefan

Feb 15, 2010 10:26
Vote:

Hey Stefan!

Have you had a look at the unified file system? Fredrik Haglund has a post on it here: http://blog.fredrikhaglund.se/blog/2007/12/05/episerver-using-the-new-unified-file-system/

I also suggest you use ASP.NET AJAX and repeaters in this approach.

In short you need to:

• Write login in your code-behind for your datasource (Unified File System).
  • Add updatepanel(s) to your markup along with repeater(s).
  • Wire up the events to repopulate your repeaters with data in code-behind to filter out the user's selection.

Happy coding! :)

Feb 17, 2010 10:40
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.