Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Episerver local environment setup on Local IIS

Vote:

Hi Team,

I am trying to set up my client's website on my local IIS. when I try to browse using IIS Express, the pages are loading fine with proper CMS content.

My local application does not have an Episerver instance to log in, I just connect with our Dev servers DB to populate content from CMS.

However when trying to run the same application using IIS, throwing 404 error- resource can not found, when I go check my logs, I saw below error.

System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/link/43F936C99B234EA397B261C538AD07C9.aspx' does not exist.
   at System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp)
   at System.Web.Routing.PageRouteHandler.GetHttpHandler(RequestContext requestContext)
   at System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Please help me how to resolve this issue and setup the application on IIS instead of running using IIS Express

Thanks and appreciate your help

Feb 13, 2021 0:16
Vote:

Can you make sure your IIS website's Apppool is using .NET 4.0 & your app pool user has read/write access to your source directory? Also make sure you have installed URL Rewrite in IIS

Feb 13, 2021 13:42
Vote:

Hi,

Are you able to access the /episerver? If yes then try login into the Episerver CMS and add your local site in the "Manage Website" admin section.

Feb 15, 2021 6:55
SasiRekha - Feb 16, 2021 18:49
Hi Ravindra,

I don't have a local Episerver CMS instance. I am connecting the DEV server Episerver DB to load the content into my local environment.
Vote:

That sounds like asset errors with accessing wherever you have your blob assets configured. When you're running in IIS Express you'll be running with elevated permissions, so make sure that wherever your files are stored you have access to them. For example on our local builds (running through IIS) they are on a mapped UNC network path so the application pool has to be setup under a specific user with access to that UNC path. As a shortcut quickly you can set the app pool to run under your account but I'd recommend a service account.

Feb 15, 2021 9:31
SasiRekha - Feb 16, 2021 19:19
Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your reply.

yes, I set up an app pool to run under my account only and full access to the files too. Still, I am getting the same exception and on the browser, it says 404 resource not found :(
Vote:

if you are using the database from Dev environment, Have you configured your blobs storage path or connection string?

for example, if you are accessing the database from the integration environment. Have you configured local blob storage path (your iis user should have full access to this folder) or EPiServerAzureBlobs & EPiServerAzureEvents connections. 

Feb 16, 2021 19:00
SasiRekha - Feb 16, 2021 20:00
Hi Naveed,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I have BLOB storage in my local path app_data/blobs and have full access.
SasiRekha - Feb 16, 2021 20:01
Still, I am getting the same exception with 404 resource not found error on the browser.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.