Issues with Export/Import for Large Site Duplication—Seeking Alternative Solutions

Vote:

Hello,

I am seeking advice on the export/import of a site.

We have a multisite application hosted in Episerver. One of the sites is undergoing a revamp in terms of look and feel (no code changes), which is why the business wants to completely replicate the site. We have two approaches:

• Duplicate the site in the UAT environment by importing/exporting, make the necessary changes, and then, once the site is built, export/import it to PROD.
  • Instead of exporting/importing in a lower environment, export/import directly in PROD and make the revamping changes there. This would avoid exporting/importing in two environments.

However, we are facing a problem with the export/import process. The site is quite large, with more than 20,000 content items. While exporting such a large site is manageable, the issue arises during import, where we encounter a "Request is too Large" error.

We understand that there is an import limit, which in our case is not more than 200MB, while the exported file size is close to 900MB. Although Optimizely has informed us that the upload limit can be extended, doing so would introduce significant risks for this one-time activity, which we would like to avoid.

So my question is: What approach should we take to duplicate the site without relying on export/import? Is there a better method to handle this situation?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on the best way to proceed.

Regards.

Edited, Aug 15, 2024 16:41
Manoj Kumawat - Aug 16, 2024 6:46
are the sites hosted on same instance of DXP or they are separate? Not sure if you have seen the setting in PaaSPortal that you can import whole database and code from one env to other but from upper to lower environment. Which environment has the revamped code Integration/prep/prod?
Farhin - Aug 16, 2024 13:39
All the sites are hosted on the same instance of DXP and share the same database. I’m not sure what you mean by which environment has the revamped code. There is no code change involved in revamping the site; it's essentially about applying different themes to various websites based on property.
In our application, we have multiple themes for different websites. Changing the theme property alters the entire look and feel of the site. This is how the site is built. For example, if Site A currently uses Theme A, we want to revamp it by changing Site A to Theme B.
I’m inclined to duplicate the site directly in the PROD environment. This approach would involve only one export/import process within the PROD environment rather than performing the same task twice. The reason for duplicating the site is to avoid tampering with the live site. Instead, we would work on the duplicated site until it is finalized.

Vote:

You can write code to export one by one, to json files for example, then on target import content one by one. however IMO import is the most simple and performant way to move large amount of data. it's one time thing to allow big upload so I'd have no problem for that, especially if you do the import only on the scheduler instance which further limit security risks

Aug 16, 2024 6:48
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.