Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

ShellTools.Office.dll messes up the Office2010 installation on windows 7 client virtualized in vmware

Vote:

Problem

When a user tries to save a file in Office 2010 format at the local desktop at their own windows machine (not at all in episerver) the OS throws an error "Your changes could not be saved to "testfile.xlsx because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file." 

Environment

The server technicians have virtulized all clients via vmware. We have 32-bit win7 sp1 clients for all users. 
IIS run on win 2008 R2 virtualized in vmware.

In the client OS we ran the EPiServerOfficeAddin.msi and after that we registered the EPiOfficeIntregration.dll and EPiFileUpload.dll via reg32svr command by hand.

When a user tries to save a file in Office 2010 format at the local desktop at their own windows machine (not at all in episerver) the OS throws an error "Your changes could not be saved to "testfile.xlsx because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file." 

In this state the episerver integration between Office and the website works fine. And drag and drop from client host to episerver vpp directory works fine.

Now the server technician goes in to attack mode an does an unregister action to the ShellTools.Office.dll in the client OS, in the epi installation folder. And tadaa! he says.

The Office 2010 problem goes away, the Episerserver office upload function stop working. But the drag and drop still works between windows and episerver webpage.

It sounds strange that episerverofficeintegration doesnt work with Office 2010. Does anyone recognize this problem? If I google this I dont see anything interesting. Any advice?

best regards Rickard

Dec 22, 2011 12:23
Vote:

I've never heard of this problem, and we do testing on Office 2010 of course. This bug (#63837) sounds a bit related though:

http://world.episerver.com/Support/Bug-List/#bug,EPiServer%20CMS,63837,7sTIKS8EWcT9gHM0Ln9470TfbAk%3d

Dec 23, 2011 10:39
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.