Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

WebP/AVIF image transcoding in Episerver

Vote:

With WebP being an established image format, and AVIF as a very promising newcomer, I would like to see Episerver performing image transcoding out-of-the-box.

I know there are 3rd party libraries, like ImageProcessor and ImageResizer, doing it real-time (with some caching applied). But having it as part of the Episerver core would be very nice.

Then the transcoding of images could happen on upload/edit, to the same blob folders where the original image, its thumbnail and its scaled images are stored.

If the front end code then requests a JPEG or PNG file, but the browser specifies in the Accept request header that it supports WebP or AVIF, then it would be very nice if Episerver simply returned the images in the best supported format.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Oct 11, 2020 16:06
Vote:

I'm always up for more inbuilt image processing capabilities in Episerver, particularly given that I rarely see an implementation these days which doesn't have some kind of external image resizing tool. That said, I can't imagine it being built into Episerver itself as, if you're on DXP, image optimisation is already handled through CloudFlare Polish which will compress and convert your images dynamically as it passes through CloudFlare (dependent on what the end browser supports). Basically it works as you describe. I don't know about AVIF but certainly WebP is supported.

I seem to recall there being some investigation around enabling CloudFlare image resizing in DXP too though I'm not sure how far that got. It does come with a few caveats ao may not be right for all sites plus, with it being part of a cloud service, it's not something you can see the impact of locally which could make development a bit tricky.

Back to the original point, I think it's a good idea and I think it would be good to have some easy-to-use resizing mechanism built-in which is perhaps compatible with the CloudFlare services so it could effectively be offloaded in DXP but still work in local dev environments. It would probably be worth adding it to https://feedback.episerver.com/.

Edited, Oct 13, 2020 8:26
Vote:

Hi Paul

I know that CloudFlare offers this. I recently heard that they also started performing conversions to AVIF. And Cloudinary is also offering this.

It would just be very nice to have this in the core platform. I will investigate it further and post it on the feedback board.

Oct 13, 2020 11:37
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.