Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Accessing name of block from view template

Vote:

I have created a block called SectionTitleBlock with the following model and view:

public class SectionTitleBlock : EPiServer.Core.BlockData
    {
        public virtual string Title { get; set; }

[UIHint(Global.SiteUIHints.SectionIcon)] public virtual string Icon { get; set; } } public partial class SectionTitleBlockControl : BlockControlBase<SectionTitleBlock> { /// If the Title has not been set, return the name of the block as it was created in CMS. public string Title { get { if (String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(this.CurrentData.Title)) { var content = this.CurrentData as IContent; if (content != null) return content.Name; } return this.CurrentData.Title; } } }

I want the Title property in the view to return the name of the block when the title has not been filled out by the user on the block.

I am trying to cast this.CurrentData to IContent to retrieve the name, however the cast results in null - looking at the inheritance of the classes and interfaces this looks correct not to cast correctly.

I can cast this.CurrentData to IContentData but that still does not provide me the name of the block as it was created in CMS.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Adam

Oct 09, 2013 12:53
Vote:

It seems strange if you get a NULL when you cast your CurrentData to IContent.

The instance of the Block is in runtime created as a Proxy Class with IContent as a "mixin". Hence there are no programmatically relations with your BlockData and the IContent.

Note that this only works when you use your Block as a Shared Block, not if you add the Block as a Local Block (a Property on a Page).

Oct 09, 2013 13:29
Vote:

Thanks Alf

I think that is the issue - I am using the block as a property on another block.

So as an example, I have a block called NewsList of which one of the properties is SectionBlockTitle.

From the Template of SectionBlockTitle, can I access the name of the parent NewsListBlock?

Oct 09, 2013 13:43
Vote:

Maybe not otpimal but you could maye load in block instance.

var repository = EPiServer.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<IContentRepository>();
IContent block = repository.Get<IContent>(content.ContentLink);

block.Name;

Oct 09, 2013 16:17
Vote:

Per, what should "content" on your second row be?

In this case, the SectionTitleBlock is a local Block inside a Shared Block.

None the less, CurrentData on SectionTitleBlock cast to IContent will return null since it is a Local Block.

Oct 09, 2013 16:21
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.