Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Updating old CMS 5 SP2 site

Vote:

Hi,

Decades ago I created an episerver site with CMS 5 SP2 (5.1.422.256). Since then, my old dev box has died and been replaced with shiny windows 7 box.

I'm now required to do few new page types to that old episerver installation, but that version can't be installed on IIS 7: I would need to upgrade to R2 SP2 (5.2.375.236). I have the physical files of the old installation and also the db, but not the IIS configurations.

As far as I see, I have few options:

1. Somehow create a new site that would be mix of : upgrade db, but install new files. Also upgrade the production to newer version.

2. Just create the new page types with the new version, and pray that I don't use API calls that are not available in the old version.

3. Somehow get the old version up and running on IIS 7.

What would you do in this situation?

Nov 19, 2010 13:52
Vote:

With Win7 you can use Windows XP through Windows Virtual PC (license included with Win7).

If that's not an option you can get EPiServer 5 SP2 up'n'running och Win 7. Don't remember straight of, but if you have the DLLs it's only a matter of configuration in web.config. There are some blog posts here on World, but not sure where right now.. :)

Nov 19, 2010 14:39
Vote:

I would install the site on a Virtual XP machine. That way you can let Deployment Center do the IIS configurations for you - just install a new site and copy over your files, and change the connectionstrings.config.

Also, your old site's web.config is probably configured for IIS5/6. If you were using Windows 7, you would have to re-write the web.config to the IIS7 format, which can be a hassle and may introduce some hard-to-find errors.

Nov 21, 2010 21:31
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.