Dave Beattie
Mar 16, 2021
(1 votes)

Episerver AJAX and standard MVC calls with Localization

This post is inspired by Stefan’s solution here.

Recently I was involved in a project replacing a custom translation solution on a client’s site with a more standard Episerver solution using Episerver Languages to translate content and DblocalizationProvider for static text.

One issue we ran into was with API calls and AJAX requests.  The site is an ecommerce site and there were several places where requests where directed through a standard mvc controller/action route, rather than going through Episerver content routing.  This proved problematic when attempting to return translated content such as error messages as we found the current culture was lost and the site was using the default culture. 

We settled on using an ActionFilter to retrieve the language code from the url.   Initially we had used Stefan’s implementation tailored to AJAX calls.  However, we ran into further issues as a payment gateway implementation was using an api method as it’s return url in order to process the payment status and either complete the order or return an error message.  This we created something that would retrieve the language code from any request.   


 public class StandardMvcRequestSetLanguageAttribute : ActionFilterAttribute

        public override void OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext filterContext)
            if (filterContext?.RequestContext?.HttpContext.Request == null)

            HttpRequestBase httpRequest = filterContext.RequestContext.HttpContext.Request;

            if (filterContext.RequestContext.RouteData.Values["language"] != null)
                var lang = filterContext.RequestContext.RouteData.Values["language"].ToString();

                Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo(lang);


We then discovered that Episerver wasn’t supported localized urls for non content paths (it’s perfectly fine for links to content that goes through Episerver’s routing.)  Therefore we also registered a basic path with the language code in.  Our ajax calls and the return urls for our payment gateway were now able to return translated error or success messages.



Mar 16, 2021


Johnny Mullaney
Johnny Mullaney Mar 22, 2021 05:08 PM

Nice post David!

Please login to comment.
Latest blogs
Performance optimization – the hardcore series – part 2

Earlier we started a new series about performance optimization, here Performance optimization – the hardcore series – part 1 – Quan Mai’s blog...

Quan Mai | Oct 4, 2023 | Syndicated blog

Our first steps into local AI

After a consumer of tools like ChatGPT and CoPilot, we as developers like to dive deeper into it. How does it work? Where to start? Can I create my...

Chuhukon | Oct 4, 2023 | Syndicated blog

Update on .NET 8 support

With .NET 8 now in release candidate stage I want to share an update about our current thinking about .NET 8 support in Optimizely CMS and Customiz...

Magnus Rahl | Oct 3, 2023

Adding Block Specific JavaScript and CSS to the body and head of the page

A common requirement for CMS implementations includes the ability to embed third party content into a website as if it formed part of the website...

Mark Stott | Oct 3, 2023

Performance optimization – the hardcore series – part 1

Hi again every body. New day – new thing to write about. today we will talk about memory allocation, and effect it has on your website performance....

Quan Mai | Oct 3, 2023 | Syndicated blog

Next level content delivery with Optimizely Graph

Optimizely introduced a new product called Optimizely Graph earlier this year. We were one of the first partners to adopt this new service in a...

Ynze | Oct 2, 2023 | Syndicated blog